When I was introducing myself yesterday I failed to mention that I am currently completing a M.Sc in Social Research Skills in the University of Ulster. This course takes place entirely online and that has been a learning experience in itself for all involved.
So you can imagine with the end of my very last module in sight I am in TSR Mode (Total Social Research Mode and no, this doesn’t mean I spend a lot of time in the pub asking people questions. Chance would be a fine thing…) where everything is questioned and nothing is assumed.
While I have no current plans to undertake research about the IIA it is certainly something that could be of interest to all of us and many others besides. In the meantime I have a question for you all and contrary to what is normally considered constructive behaviour I expect you to answer with a question.
If you could ask all the members of the Irish Internet Association one question, what would that question be?
This is also a cunning way for me to get an idea of the issues most on your minds. I think I would ask questions about whether the members use social networking tools like blogs and RSS and how they use them. However I am, of course, totally obsessed with business applications of Social Networking at the moment as it is the focus of this year’s IIA Congress. (Plug plug!)
Sure while I’m at it I might as well keep plugging away! I mentioned in yesterday’s post that our early bird offer of EUR195.00 has been extended until April 25th and that this offer is available exclusively to members. However did you know that you can apply online for membership in four easy steps? Membership is instant so if you do this today you will be able to avail of the early bird offer straight away.
I’m Roseanne Smith, the IIA’s new Membership, Marketing and Communications Manager. I started work with the IIA last Tuesday and it’s been full speed ahead since then.
With the Congress coming up in less than five weeks there has been a lot of interest in membership. It was particularly busy on Friday as our early bird offer closed so there was a desperate scramble to renew membership (Yes it is true: you are not alone although it gets lonelier by the day in the “Oops forgot to renew my membership” camp!) and to avail of the great offers. EUR195.00 for members – a bargain!*
I’ve also been dealing with a number of interesting queries from members and it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to post some of these queries in anonymised form here. I like to think I know a thing or two about this whole Internet business but unfortunately the queries happened to be about the other things about which I couldn’t claim expertise. Let me know what you think: how would you feel about your internet woes being the subject of discussion on this site. Leave a comment to let me know what you think.
And to finish some of you might be scratching your heads wondering where do I know her from so a lá Troy McClure from The Simpsons you might know me from:
- Rathmines in Dublin where I grew up
- Scoil Bhríde, Ranelagh and Muckross Park, Donnybrook where I went to school
- Trinity College Dublin where I got a degree in Drama Studies and Modern Irish and a M.Sc. in Multimedia Systems
- Too many stage productions to list as either cast or crew
- (And now this is really McClure-esque) “Amú san Áis” starring Hector Ó hEochagáin – you may have seen my name in the roller on: I was the researcher
- Gaelport.com: I’m a fluent Irish speaker and I was responsible for developing this community focussed site
- I was a founding representative of The Legacy Group and the Community Sector Employers’ Forum on behalf of Comhdháil Náisiúnta na Gaeilge
- My personal blog which you may have happened upon
- “Giotaí den saol” daily Irish language trivia snippets on a number of radio stations throughout the country.
- Letters in the Irish Times because I’m always writing in and givin’ out
- And if none of that rings any bells I went to Irish College in Rann na Feirste
I look forward to meeting you at Congress in May. Knock over to me and say hello if only to see if I have managed to master the delivery of my extravagant title!
*A slightly later little bird tells me that the early bird offer is extended for members only until 25th April. So get on the case right now. Email me for details.