Right I’ll admit it. I had a great karaoke session at the weekend which is probably the reason why all of today’s blog posts have pop titles. However my weekend started off with a bout of meeting the neighbours at the Digital Hub Barbecue. I spoke to some lovely people from Zamano, IIA members, who very kindly took me under their wing on my arrival as all my colleagues are away so I was there by myself. And then the evening became the night in the company of Aoife from Clickstream, another member company, the two of us blathering away in Irish. I met Aoife originally on my second day working in the IIA at an event we ran about accessibility in April. There was a great buzz in the Digital Hub area as the students in the National College of Art and Design were holding their end of year exhibitions.
However I didn’t have an opportunity to meet some of our newest members who are also neighbours. The latest addition to the association are the accomplished Net Affinity who are also based in the Digital Hub. They are a digital marketing agency providing a range of integrated digital media services in Ireland since 2000. They combine their extensive wealth of marketing, design and technical expertise to creating smart, strategic & results driven campaigns. A great addition to the Association, bringing a wealth of experience in a diverse range of sectors. Are they party people? I can’t honestly say…YET but keep your eyes peeled and you should be hearing about an opportunity for us all to find out soon. Ooooh mysterious!
But’s it getting much easier all the time with technology to help us. Our newest member 1TimeTracking is going to make resource tracking a whole lot easier for all of us. It will free up managers to concentrate on the bigger picture, rather than wasting precious time emailing their team for timesheets. It allows the self-employed to track time and expenses for specific clients and projects ensuring cost-effectiveness for all. As its charged per employee it is itself a cost effective solution for the microtrader trying to juggle a number of clients. For those with employees it’s an easy way to ensure compliance to the Working Time Act as well. There’s a free trial for the first month so go on, give it a whirl and tell us what you think.
Because our newest member, Micheal Kelly, from MikeKellyTv.com has great plans for online video. He doesn’t mess about either. His business is up and running only a short time and already he has joined the IIA and nominated himself to join our Social Media Working Group. Video is, of course, a huge element in social media so it is great to have him on board.
Our mission is the realisation of your business benefits through successful projects. We believe the success lies in the attitude & skill set the person brings, combined with the support that is given to our people.
Attitude, skills, support: you could say the three pillars of business wisdom!
You might be wondering why are all these people joining the IIA? I’ll tell you!
Membership is like Neapolitan Ice Cream with three flavours allowing companies to choose between Corporate (50+ employees,) SME (Up to 50 employees), or Individual (Less than 3 employees). We can generate usernames and passwords for all staff within a member company which allows lots of flexibility in the use of our extranet.
Members of the IIA get considerable discounts on all our events and access to member-only events. As a member-driven and member-focussed organisation we rely on members’ input to ensure a vibrant and cutting edge programme of events and therefore welcome all suggestions from our members. We welcome input from members as guest bloggers and as speakers at events throughout the year.
All members are welcome to post industry-related press releases, tenders, publications, vacancies and appointments via the IIA extranet. Members can also avail of special offers made available by members, discounts on events run by the IIA and member-only resources such as whitepapers, research and reports.
But sadly there is no free ice cream. So far. I’m working on it.
Net Behaviour were on their best behaviour last week when they joined the IIA. They attended the recent IIA Congress and I subsequently made contact with them as I did with many of the non-member delegates. To quote their own website:
Net Behaviour are online experts fusing established planning methods, bespoke research and extensive experience to create key insights into the digital consumer which enables us to provide clients with great digital marketing campaigns.
When I read this I immediately thought of all our members who contact me looking for facts and figures about the nebulous net and who attend our events aimed at increasing sector skills in the area of developing, managing, and measuring online campaigns and I knew Net Behaviour would be a good fit.
Normally I include a new member company’s logo but I hope you will forgive me for using a different element of their site which caught my magpie eye. Instead of profile pictures they each have a personalised robot image. The image above is Managing Director Justin Cullen’s profile image. We will all be assimilated 🙂
How long can I use last week’s Congress as an excuse for letting things slide a little bit? I will freely admit that I haven’t had an opportunity to welcome five new members so here goes:
- Engrande.com – Engrande Ireland Ltd. have literally just arrived in Ireland and moved in next door to us here in IIA HQ. They have a really clever idea. You want a bed for the night that costs €30. They offer simple, instantly confirmed, online bookings on Hotels, Hostels, B&B and Apartments at great prices. Originally launched with the €30 per night concept in Barcelona and Madrid, EnGrande now offers similar value accommodation in cities from Dublin to Budapest, from Berlin to Athens. Oooh I feel a holiday beckoning!
- Marketing and Development Unit, IT Blanchardstown – IT Blanchardstown first opened its doors in 1999 and in the nine years since has set a mission to serve its students and the community by meeting the skills needs in the economy and increasing the level of participation in third-level education and training, particularly in Dublin North-West and its environs. It is great to welcome the Marketing and Development Unit because since starting my own job here a number of members have mentioned the need to communicate with third level institutions about the skills required for comtemporary businesses. Hopefully we in the IIA will be able to facilitate that conversation.
- Amooz.ie – Amooz stock beautiful and practical baby products that might cause more oohing and aahing than the babby itself! Everything for the stylish new parents and baby: the parents may not get much sleep but they will look funky!
- Strategem.ie – I’m amazed Strategem had time to join the IIA: they must spend half their time putting up shelves upon which to display their awards judging by their website :). Congratulations and welcome: it’s nice to be in such august company! (Note to self: must run a campaign aimed at carpenters and companies specialising in office design. I see a synergy here.)
- Bio-medical Research Ltd. – And finally a big welcome to Bio-medical Research who began manufacturing electrical muscle stimulator (EMS) products in the 1960s and have over 30 years experience in the research, design, manufacture and marketing of medical grade products for both muscle strengthening and pain relief. Maybe we should put them in touch with Strategem above whose muscles may require some strengthening to hoike all those awards around. I’m on a synergy roll, folks!
We look forward to meeting representatives from all of these companies at our upcoming events. Hopefully some of them will share their internet experiences here as guest bloggers too.
Firstly I would like to welcome to our newest member Zircol.com. Zircol is a global, free to join online business network focused on helping Irish companies to grow and on helping Irish entrepreneurs and investors from the Irish community and diaspora worldwide to connect online in the time it takes to setup an account. They already have 6 networks set up including Zircol itself. These networks include a creation and innovation network, an entrpeuners’ network, a healthcare network, and the Wireless Ireland Network.
If you are interested in these networks and the potential they could represent for your business you might also be interested in our Congress which takes place on Thursday (so expect a sharp downturn in posts after today). I have one pair of tickets for Congress for whoever can tell me:
Q. Who is sponsoring our “Build a Great Website” breakout session?
Answers in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5pm Tuesday.
We have also notified the winner of last week’s IPod . So if you haven’t heard from us, better luck next time!
One thing that many of the delegates at our previous congresses asked about was the chance to get some one-on-one advice about website strategy. As the IIA is a member-driven organisation we take these suggestions seriously and so this year we developed a brand spanking new feature of Congress 2008. This year we bring you Web Strategy Clinics! We have organised 5 different clinics with experts from among our membership. These clinics will allow you to sit down for half an hour and pick their brains on your choice of the following:
You need to register for the clinic of your choice* and give some details about your current situation so that you and the expert can kick off and waste no time on formalities. If you leave a comment below saying “hellohowareyou!” you can consider that done and get right into the meat of it!
* You can attend as many as you like – you’ll just have to register for each seperately. Enjoy!
A big welcome to our newest members Ciall.com. I had a very interesting conversation with Allen O’Reilly from Ciall yesterday. When he told me the company name I was all set to start blathering away “as Gaeilge” but sadly he was not the Gaeilgeoir in the company. They are indeed ciallmhar because they promptly joined the IIA.
Lack of Irish aside, they are a talented bunch with backgrounds in accounting, finance, information systems and project management. They are a consulting company who specialise in solutions built on MS technology. They expressed an interest in Web 2.0 (see you at Congress then!), Enterprise Resource Planning, Business Intelligence, Collaboration and Professional Services. If you think you could collaborate in a CIALLmhar way, why don’t you get in touch with them?
But on the subject of rain, our newest members, Imagine, accentuate the positivity of rain on their cheeky website using my favourite colour, pink. Considering their expertise in on-street promotions and guerilla marketing it’s probably a very good thing they have a positive attitude to rain. However as they fluently put it themselves:
“We are media neutral so we can truly put your brand wherever you want, whenever you want.”
They are currently hiring so if you own your own wellies and mac, you should send them your CV!
I am planning to write a short blog post about all new members so we can all start getting to know each other straight away. However current members are more than welcome to get involved through guest blogging: if you have something you want to get off your chest or an online service that you would like to write about or are seeking feedback from your peers or would like to write about your experience of one of our events, please contact me by commenting below or at members at iia dot ie.